GCSE Core Science (Compulsory)
Science encourages you to:
- Develop your interest in, and enthusiasm for, science
- Develop a critical approach to scientific evidence and methods
- Acquire and apply skills, knowledge and understanding of how science works and its essential role in society
- Acquire the scientific skills, knowledge and understanding necessary for progression to further learning
What will be studied?
- Unit 1: Biology 1; Human body, Genetics, Ecosystems and the environment
- Unit 2: Chemistry 1; Materials and their properties (limestone, metals, oils and plants)
- Unit 3: Physics 1; Energy and Electricity
- Unit 4: Controlled Assessment
Each of these units is worth 25% of the final grade and has an exam paper which has written answers not multiple choice. All the exams will be in June. There are no more modular exams.
This course can be taken at Foundation or Higher levels and results in a single award GCSE. In Year 11 pupils will continue studying science. We try and provide suitable pathways for every student therefore some pupils go on to study GCSE Additional Science, some pupils will complete a BTEC Application of Science course and others will have the opportunity to do separate sciences.